By Dr. Jack Hsu, (6/18/2013)
Let me introduce a homemade healthy and yummy food: Onion – tomato salsa. First let’s look at the nutrition and medicinal properties of onions and tomatoes.
Nutritional value per 100 g (3.5 oz)
|Properties||Red Tomatoes||Raw Onions|
|Dietary fiber (g)||1.2||1.7|
|Vitamin A equiv. (µg)||42|
|lutein and zeaxanthin (µg)||123|
|Thiamine (vit. B1) (mg)||0.037||0.046|
|Riboflavin (vit. B2) (mg)||0.027|
|Niacin (vit. B3) (mg)||0.594||0.116|
|Vitamin B6 (mg)||0.08||0.12|
|Folate (vit. B9) (µg)||19|
|Vitamin C (mg)||14||7.4|
|Vitamin E (mg)||0.54|
|Vitamin K (µg)||7.9|
Description of Nutrition and Medicinal Properties
Tomatoes are believed to benefit our hearts, among other organs.
• They contain the carotene lycopene, one of the most powerful natural antioxidants.
• In some studies, lycopene, especially in cooked tomatoes, has been found to help prevent prostate cancer, but other research contradicts this claim.
• Lycopene has also been shown to improve the skin’s ability to protect against harmful UV rays. A study done by researchers at Manchester and Newcastle universities revealed that tomato can protect against sunburn and help keeping the skin looking youthful.
• Tomato varieties are available with double the normal vitamin C (Doublerich), 40 times normal vitamin A (97L97), high levels of anthocyanin (resulting in blue tomatoes), and two to four times the normal amount of lycopene.
Onions are believed to benefit our digestion system, cleaning our artery, and help increase bone density, etc.
• Onions are high in vitamin C, vitamin B6 and folic acid and are a good source of dietary fiber. They are very low in fats and in sodium, and with an energy value of 40 kcal per 100 g serving, they can contribute their flavor to savory dishes without raising the calorific content to any great extent.
• Onions contain chemical compounds such as phenolics and flavonoids, that have potential anti-inflammatory, anti-cholesterol, anticancer and antioxidant properties.
• Some Indians believe them to be an aphrodisiac.
• Some believe that the consumption of onions and garlic increases desire when eaten cooked and anger when eaten raw.
• Onions can protect you from influenza virus, have strong anti-inflammatory effect.
How to avoid Eye irritation when Cutting Onions?
Cutting onions emits certain compounds which irritate our eyes to release tears. How to avoid Eye irritation when cutting onions?
• Cutting onions under running water or submerged in a basin of water.
• Refrigerating the onions before use (cutting)
• Cutting onions under hood (around stove area), and use fan to blow the onion gas away from your eyes.
How to make Onion-Tomato Salsa?
This is a way to eat raw onions without suffering their stingy spicy taste, and maintain their original nutrition as well. This mixture is a healthy food to help you a lot of body healthy factors as described above.
• 2 big onions
• 45 oz (1267 grams) ketchup, or Picante, or tomato Salsa.
or any ratio you want.
1. Clean and dry onions, pot or big bowls. Clean and dry one or two glass bottles.
2. Peel off the bad skins of onions.
3. Cut onion to small pieces shown in the below photo. Do not touch the cut onions to any water.
4. Pour the picante (or ketchup) into the pot contained cut onions, and mix them well.
5. Us small spoon to transfer the mixed onion-tomato picante to the dried bottles.
6. Store them in your refrigerator to keep fresh. You can use it the next day. It tastes yummy , and eat fresh onions without spicy taste.
How to use Onion-Tomato salsa?
When I eat rice gruel, or millet gruel or oat for my breakfast, I add two or three spoons of the home-make onion-tomato salsa. I also add some gingers as well. You may use it for your toasts as well, or as salad dressing.
Because of somebody may have allergy to some foods (e.g. tomato) even healthy foods, try it from small amount first, then increase the amount if you feel OK. Please keep in mind that do not eat or addict to any foods too much daily, even it is a healthy food.